Saturday, July 16, 2011

Possible tragedy in the making

So, my pumpkin is looking a little down in the mouth.  It's been so incredibly hot that it's been hard to keep the plants watered.

Unfortunately, it could be I've over-watered the pumpkin.  Being all knew at this gardening thing, I often forget that different plants require different levels of water.  Unfortunately, I have many a water hog in the garden.  (Cucumbers, I'm looking at you.)  And, let me tell you, when you have a heat index of 107 degrees, you are less inclined to stand out there and measure out who gets how much water when.  You just water it all.  Unfortunately, my pumpkin might be suffering.

The leaves look okay for the most part, and I discovered what look like tiny tap roots along the vine, but I'm starting to notice a disturbing sight close to the main root system: possibly mold.  I say "possibly" because I'm not sure.  I thought that when old leaves died they just died, but these are turning gray, and I'm afraid that I might have given my pumpkin mold.

In an attempt to check this theory and save the vine, I shall not water it for a few days, and will check in the early mornings as the leaves will be slightly wilted if they haven't gotten enough water.  It'll give me a gauge.  

If I didn't just kill it, of course.

Trust me when I say I am doing everything I can to not chew through my fingernails on this.  The pumpkin was the one that started quickly and grew like mad.  I would be horrified if I managed to kill it.  It doesn't help I've seen all of one bee pollinating my garden this year, which means there's a very good chance my pumpkin won't fruit simply because they need that insect interaction.

I am incredibly disturbed by the lack of pollinators, and I'm starting to think it's also the cause of my tomatoes not fruiting.  Yes, I will be raising honey bees.  Our neighborhood gardens demand it!

Either way, I might only get lucky enough to have cucumbers (harvested three more today) and jalapenos.  And, possibly garlic.  The rest?  Well...we'll see...




___________________
Unfortunately, with the divorce and my subsequent depression, I also haven't been tending to the weeds as much.  I tried weeding today.  It was an experience I don't care to repeat.  Next year, the bastards won't even get a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment